South Dakota's Department of Agriculture and DENR have merged.
You are viewing an archived site, please update bookmarks and visit our new website at
SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Agriculture & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Contact Us  Field Offices

South Dakota DENR

Information Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. Where can more information about the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and its activities be found?
A. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) provides general information through a variety of ways. Information about DENR is available on the internet at; by writing DENR at 523 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501; or by phoning (605) 773-3151. General information is also available through brochures and other publications. A list of DENR publications can be found at Information is also provided through individual and group letters, e-mails, videos, and public presentations.

Q. Where are press releases from DENR and other state agencies found on the Internet?
A. DENR’s press releases are located at Press releases from other state government agencies are available on the State News Web or by going to a specific state agency’s homepage.

Q. What are the natural resources in South Dakota?
A. South Dakota's greatest natural resources are its air, water, and soil. For more about natural resources in South Dakota, visit the state homepage or the Department of Environment and Natural Resources homepage at

Q. What programs are included within DENR?
A. DENR is made up of two divisions - the Division of Environmental Services and the Division of Financial and Technical Assistance. The Division of Environmental Services includes eight programs for Air Quality, Drinking Water, Feedlot Permit, Ground Water Quality, Minerals and Mining, Surface Water, Waste Management, and Water Rights. The Division of Financial and Technical Assistance includes four programs for Geological Survey, Petroleum Release Compensation Fund, Watershed Protection and Water and Waste Funding. The department's Administrative Services includes Facilities Management, Fiscal Management, Information Services and Legal Services,