SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Environment & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Field Offices
Contact Us

Water Rights

Search for South Dakota Water Rights

Click here to load this Caspio Cloud Database

*Status Definitions:

Permit A water permit has been issued for the project which allows the holder to construct the project and put the water to beneficial use within a time frame specified on the water permit.
License An inspection of the permitted water use system was conducted and a water license issued for the portion of the project that was developed.

If two or more permits cover one water use system, they are incorporated together into one water license.  Any development under the individual permits is combined into a single water license.

Cancelled The water use system has not been constructed or has been abandoned and/or forfeited. The Water Management Board cancelled the permit or license and it is no longer in effect.
Denied The Water Management Board denied the application - a permit was not issued.
Deferred The application is in deferred status until additional information becomes available either from the staff or the applicant.
Withdrawn Application withdrawn by applicant prior to action on the application.
Future Use A reservation of a specific amount of water within a defined area for future development.
Hold An application for a water right permit to use water from a fully appropriated water source.  The application is being "held" in the event water becomes available at some future date.
Owner Change Denotes a water right or permit which has now been split between two or more owners.

Search Tips

I can't find the water permit/right I am looking for... If you are having problems locating a water permit/right and these search tips are not helping, then please contact Eric Gronlund or Ron Duvall at (605) 773-3352 or email us

I found a mistake in a water permit/right... If you do find a mistake or some other correction is needed, please contact Genny McMath at (605) 773-3352 or send an email and we will fix it.

I found the water permit/right but I have a question... If you have a question about a water permit/right, then please contact Eric Gronlund or Ron Duvall at (605) 773-3352 or email us.

I am having problems getting the search to work... Please contact Ron Duvall at (605) 773-3352 or by email if the search is not working properly.  If using a web browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, you may want to try the search using Microsoft Internet Explorer. 

Links for additional information on: