South Dakota's Department of Agriculture and DENR have merged.
You are viewing an archived site, please update bookmarks and visit our new website at
SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Agriculture & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Contact Us  Field Offices

Inspection, Compliance & Remediation Program

Underground Injection Control

Why are underground injection control regulations important?

The Federal Safe Drinking Water Act protects all sources of drinking water, including underground sources (aquifers). 


The underground injection control program regulates any injection of waste into the subsurface through five classes of wells.  


Class I and Class IV injection wells are used for the disposal of hazardous, nonhazardous, radioactive, municipal and some industrial wastes, and wastewater.

Image of Oil field

Class IV wells are banned nationally and both types of wells are banned in South Dakota. Class II injection wells are used for the disposal of wastes generated in the production of oil and gas or for the injection of materials to enhance the recovery of hydrocarbons. Class III wells are used to inject materials for the purpose of extracting minerals such as sulfur, salts and uranium.


All other types of injection wells are included in Class V. Typical Class V wells in South Dakota include geothermal return wells, domestic wastewater disposal wells (septic systems), septic systems and sumps used in various types of industrial/commercial businesses, and wells used in groundwater remediation projects.

What statutes and regulations apply to me if I inject wastes?
South Dakota Codified Law 45-9-11 and Administrative Rules of South Dakota 74:12:07 contain statutes and regulations for Class II injection wells. These are the only wells for which South Dakota has primary enforcement authority. All other types of wells are currently regulated by EPA. The Underground Injection Control Program of the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act is found in 40 CFR Parts 144-147.
Do I need to notify you if I operate an injection well?
If you operate any type of injection well, you need to notify this department. Any one installing a new septic system, except for individual, residential use, needs to contact the Surface Water Quality Program
Where do I get more information on underground injection regulations?
If you have any questions concerning the underground injection well control program, please contact us at (605) 773-3296, in Pierre.