South Dakota's Department of Agriculture and DENR have merged.
You are viewing an archived site, please update bookmarks and visit our new website at
SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Agriculture & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Contact Us  Field Offices

Inspection, Compliance & Remediation Program

Heating Oil Tanks

Tanks used for the storage of heating oil for consumptive use on the premises where stored are excluded from State regulations. Contamination related to the heating oil tank is regulated under the Spill Reporting and should be reported immediately to DENR, Ground Water Quality Program, Phone (605) 773-3296


What to watch for:

Any spill over 25 gallons is reportable to DENR. A spill is likely if:

  • There is contaminated soil in the tank basin, pooled oil, sheen on surface water, or other visible signs;
  • Groundwater is contaminated (often detected by unusual taste, odor, or sheen); or
  • There has been a complaint to DENR indicating that a spill is causing a nuisance or other concern.


Also help protect the environment by the following:


  • If the supplier spills fuel while filling the tank, call them immediately to clean up their spill.
  • Watch your fuel consumption. If it is unusually high, this may indicate a leak or other problem needing attention.
  • Pay attention to any fuel odors, stains, or sheen around your fuel tank or furnace room. They may indicate a problem that should be fixed immediately. Don't let a small problem turn into a big one.


And check with your local city or fire official:

There may be local codes or requirements that apply to heating oil tanks. Check with your local city or fire official about additional information.

If you have any questions concerning the storage tank program, please contact Terry Florentz, Justin Allen, or Marshall Brown in Pierre at (605) 773-3296 or E-mail,

in Sioux Falls contact Scott Bickler at (605) 362-3500, in Rapid City contact Zachary Burggraff at (605) 394-2229.