South Dakota's Department of Agriculture and DENR have merged.
You are viewing an archived site, please update bookmarks and visit our new website at
SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Agriculture & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Contact Us  Field Offices

Inspection, Compliance & Remediation Program

Spill Reporting Picture of a Phone

Trish Kindt, Scientist Manager I
Phone (605) 773-3296 - Fax (605) 773-6035 E-mail


National Response Center= (800) 424-8802
SD Notification = (605) 773-3296

After Hours = (605) 773-3231

Blinking New picture


Choose a Spill Topic from the following

UST Installation


Why are spill reporting requirements important?

When gasoline, pesticides, solvents, or other substances are spilled or released, there is a potential that surface water, groundwater or human health may be threatened. The South Dakota Regulated Substance Program was established to identify what substances and quantities of substances need to be reported, when they should be reported, and to ensure that a spill or release is contained or remediated as quickly as possible.



What statutes and regulations apply to me if I have a release or spill?

The statutes can be found in South Dakota Codified Law (SDCL) Chapter 34A-12 and the regulations are in the Administrative Rules of South Dakota (ARSD) Chapter 74:34.



When should I report a release or spill?

A release or spill of a regulated substance (includes petroleum and petroleum products) must be reported to DENR immediately if any one of the following conditions exists:


1. The discharge threatens or is in a position to threaten the waters of the state (surface water or ground water);

2. The discharge causes an immediate danger to human health or safety;

3. The discharge exceeds 25 gallons; if you need help converting to gallons, (click here) please use this table .

4. The discharge causes a sheen on surface water;

5. The discharge of any substance that exceeds the ground water quality standards of ARSD chapter 74:54:01;

6. The discharge of any substance that exceeds the surface water quality standards of ARSD chapter 74:51:01;

7. The discharge of any substance that harms or threatens to harm wildlife or aquatic life;

8. The discharge of crude oil in field activities under SDCL chapter 45-9 is greater than 1 barrel (42 gallons).

9. The discharge is required to be reported according to SARA Title III List of Lists, Consolidated List of Chemicals Subject to Reporting Under the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act, US Environmental Protection Agency.

To report a release or spill, call DENR at 605-773-3296 during regular office hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time). To report the release after hours, on weekends or holidays, call State Radio Communications at 605-773-3231. Reporting the release to DENR does not meet any obligation for reporting to other state, local, or federal agencies. Therefore, the responsible person must also contact local authorities to determine the local reporting requirements for releases. DENR recommends that spills also be reported to the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802.


Who is responsible for cleanup of the spill?

If the identity of the person who caused the discharge can be determined, that person shall be designated as the responsible person. If the identity of the person who caused the discharge cannot be determined, the owner of the property or operator of the tank at the time of the discharge shall be designated as the responsible person. (SDCL 34A-12-16)



If I am the responsible person, what are my responsibilities?

If a release poses an immediate threat to human health or the environment, or if such a threat arises, immediate action must be taken by the responsible person. These actions may include:


1. Stopping the release at the source (if it can be done safely);

2. Evacuating the area;

3. Shutting off all ignition sources;

4. Containing the released material with the use of earthen berms or absorbents;

5. Notifying all appropriate authorities.

After the threat has been alleviated, the responsible person must proceed with assessment and remediation of the site. A listing of Environmental Contractors is maintained by DENR for this purpose.


If you have any questions concerning the reporting of releases or spills, please contact Jaclyn McGuire at (605) 773-3296 in Pierre or E-mail.