South Dakota's Department of Agriculture and DENR have merged.
You are viewing an archived site, please update bookmarks and visit our new website at
SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Agriculture & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Contact Us  Field Offices

Feedlot Permit Program

Complaints — Feedlots

Picture showing the falls on the Big Sioux River.The protection of South Dakota's natural resources is important to the citizens of this state. One of the responsibilities of this department is to respond to citizens' environmental concerns and complaints. Citizen involvement is critical to the effective implementation of our environmental programs, and we welcome your input.

Pursuant to SDCL 34A-2-111, the department is required to receive a signed complaint form before responding to water quality complaints. The complaint form is confidential. This document is not a public record subject to open inspection and shall be separately maintained and held confidential.

Department regulations include taking action to prevent water pollution when animals are confined in pens or lots, but the regulations do NOT cover areas with vegetation like pastures or wintering areas. There are no state laws regulating odor and odor complaints cannot be investigated.

You may file your complaint by completing and submitting the form in a separate window here. You can also print a form to fill out and submit to the department. When sending a complaint form please include your name, phone number, and mailing address to allow the department to contact you. Forms can be mailed to:

SD Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Feedlot Permit Program
Joe Foss Building
523 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3181

Should you have any questions, please contact Troy Roth at 1-800-GET-DENR (1-800-438-3367).