Hazardous Waste - Waste Management Program
The Hazardous Waste Section is responsible for regulating the storage, treatment, transport, and disposal of hazardous waste in the state of South Dakota. The hazardous waste section also provides technical assistance, conducts inspections, conducts complaint investigations, and assigns generator identification numbers.
Determining If Your Business Is a Hazardous Waste Generator
To determine whether your business generates hazardous waste, the following regulatory summary is a good starting point: http://www2.epa.gov/hwgenerators/hazardous-waste-generator-regulatory-summary
After reviewing the information, if you have any questions or if your situation does not appear to be addressed, contact the South Dakota Hazardous Waste section by e-mail or by calling (605) 773-3153. If you wish to read the South Dakota statutes and regulations pertaining to generators of hazardous waste, visit the South Dakota Environmental Permitting and Regulation Guide or read the following: South Dakota Codified Law 34A-11, Administrative Rules of South Dakota 74:28, and 40 CFR Parts 260-279.
Obtaining a Hazardous Waste ID Number
To obtain a hazardous waste ID Number:
- Complete the Notification of Regulated Waste Activity Form.
- Click on Hazardous Waste Biennial Report for information about submitting a report.
Links to Additional Information
Hazardous Waste Generator Lists/Maps
For EPA information about hazardous waste generators and locations go to:
Instructions to populate a list/map using the above website:
- Scroll down to the "RCRAInfo" section under the "Waste" tab to enter the point of interest in the text box and click on the magnify/search tool.
- On the new webpage, click on "List and Map Facilities Reporting in This View" box located to the left of the map on this page.
- This show a map of the hazardous waste generators at the specified location as well as show a list of those generators located below the map.
- For additional information about these specific hazardous waste generators, click on the orange box on the map that represents a generator or scroll down the list to find the generator of interest and click on "Detailed Report".
Inspections and Enforcement Lists/Maps
For EPA information about hazardous waste inspections and enforcement lists/maps go to:
For information pertaining to the cleanup of meth labs click on Clandestine Meth Labs.
For EPA information about cleanup of Mercury in Schools go to:
For EPA information about disposal and cleanup of Mercury spills go to:
Presentation on Handling Hazardous Waste Generated in South Dakota Agricultural Implements
For more information about handling hazardous waste generated in South Dakota Agricultural Implements, please view DENR's 2016 Agricultural Implement Hazardous Waste Presentation
School Lab Chemical Cleanup
For an electronic copy of the School Chemical Cleanout Toolkit for Region 8 states go to:
A Guide for Businesses in South Dakota: E-Waste Management
Regulation of Cathode Ray Tubes: http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/recycling/electron/
Links to Hazardous Waste Handlers or Recyclers Servicing South Dakota:
Hazardous Waste Contractors
Mercury and Bulb Recyclers
Transporters/Marketers of Used Oil and Oil Filters
If you have additional questions pertaining to hazardous waste, contact Carrie Jacobson by e-mail or by calling (605) 773-3153.