Wastewater Training for Operators
- On-Site Assistance for Operators
- Water and Wastewater Operator Training Courses
- Water and Wastewater Certification
- SDDENR Staff Contact Information
On-Site Assistance for Operators
The South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources (SDDENR), with a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency, has developed a program to provide on-site technical assistance to wastewater operators. This program targets new operators that need hands on assistance and facilities that are having difficulty meeting their Surface Water Discharge permit requirements.
Specifically, some of the services that this outreach program offers are:
- Instruction on proper sampling techniques and frequency;
- Instructions on proper record keeping for pH meters and dissolved oxygen meters;
- Assistance in performing lift station pump calibrations;
- Instructions in filling out Discharge Monitoring Reports;
- Instructions on Required Recordkeeping;
- Assistance performing sludge surveys;
- Instructions and assistance on flow measurements techniques;
- Instructions for proper procedure of unauthorized discharges and bypasses;
- Development of an operational plan; and
- Assistance filling out the health lab checklist (see instructions) within the lab schedule.
For more information call the Surface Water Quality Program at (605) 773-3351.
Water and Wastewater Operator Training Courses
The SDDENR currently contracts with the South Dakota Rural Water Association to provide technical training to water and wastewater operators. Courses are offered in the following subjects:
- Basic Operator Math
- Wastewater Collection
- Stabilization Ponds
- Basic Wastewater Treatment
- Advanced Wastewater Treatment
- Water Distribution
- Basic Water Treatment
- Advance Water Treatment
For more information contact South Dakota Rural Water Association at 5009 W. 12th Street, Suite 5, Sioux Falls, SD 57106. Phone: (605) 336-7219. A training schedule is available.
The SDDENR offers additional training courses in the following areas:
- NPDES Regulations (offered in the spring)
- Lift Station Calibration and Troubleshooting (offered in the fall)
- Water and Wastewater Utility Security and Surface Water Discharge Regulations Workshop
For more information on these training courses please call (605) 773-3754.
Water and Wastewater Certification
The Operator Certification Program is intended to protect public health, environmental quality, and water/wastewater systems’ investment in their facilities. A voluntary certification program was started in 1954. The mandatory certification law was passed by the South Dakota State Legislature in 1970. There are certifications in water treatment, water distribution, wastewater treatment, wastewater collection, stabilization ponds, and small water treatment systems. Information on Water and Wastewater Certification is available in South Dakota’s Permitting and Regulatory Guide. For more information, contact Rob Kittay via e-mail or by calling (605) 773-3754.
A listing of certified water and wastewater operators in your area is available at this link.