Superfund Action at Federal Facility Site (NPL)

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers



Black Hills Army Depot

 

The Black Hills Ordnance Depot was officially designated in February 1942 in Fall River County. The site consisted of 21,095.85 acres, and was utilized for long-term storage of ammunition. In August 1962, the site was renamed the Black Hills Army Depot. The facility was developed with industrial storage, administrative buildings,housing, and related support facilities and utilities. The Depot was used for the receipt, storage, maintenance, inspection, testing, restoration, issuance and shipping of ammunition, propellants, and chemical toxics, the unpacking and functional packing of small arms ammunition, and the demilitarization of unsafe, obsolete and surplus ammunition, chemical ammunition, ammunition components, chemical toxics and general supplies. On June 30, 1967, the Black Hills Army Depot was closed and in 1968 was declared surplus by the Department of the Army. The City of Edgemont, South Dakota, purchased all land within the boundary fence and the remainder of the former site was transferred to the United States Forest Service. Currently, the entire site is used for livestock grazing. In 1981 a study conducted by Ecology and Environment, Inc. determined that a change in land use which would generate direct human contact, such as housing or crops for human consumption, should be avoided.

 

For more information contact Joane Lineburg at (605) 773-3296.

 

Pine Ridge Gunnery Range/Badlands Bombing Range

 

In 1942 the United States Government leased 341,725.61 acres of land on the Oglala Sioux Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota for use as an aerial gunnery and bombing range. Over the next 34 years (until the mid 1970’s) the range was used intermittently by the Air Force for various activities including aerial gunnery and bombing practice/proficiency and by the South Dakota National Guard as an artillery impact range. 100-500 lb. sand-filled practice bombs, 100 lb. magnesium-filled photoflash bombs, 3.5 inch anti-tank rockets, 2.75 inch FEAR/practice rockets, 20-75 mm artillery projectiles, 50 caliber projectiles, 105 mm howitzer rounds, 8 inch howitzer rounds, and 155 mm high explosive and illumination projectiles were believed to have been dropped or fired at the site. Five unexploded ordnance clearance/decontamination projects have been completed on all or parts of the Badlands Bombing Range. These projects were conducted in 1963, 1964, 1974, 1975, and 1997. Unexploded ordnance clearance/decontamination efforts and environmental monitoring at the site are ongoing at the present time.

 

For more information contact Joane Lineburg at (605) 773-3296.

 

Yankton Air-To-Ground Gunnery Range

 

In 1942, the United States Government acquired 7,700 acres of land in Bon Homme and Yankton Counties in South Dakota for use as an aerial gunnery and bombing range. Over the next four years, the range was used for various activities including “skip bombing”, air-to-ground artillery target practice and night precision bombing. One hundred pound sand-filled practice bombs and 50 caliber projectiles are believed to have been dropped or fired at the site. In 1946, the United States Government terminated all leases for the site. Currently, the United States Army Corp of Engineers is conducting a site investigation under their Military Munitions Response Program confirm the site is clear of potentially hazardous munitions debris.

For more information contact Brian Walsh at (605) 773-3296.

 

Sioux City Precision Bombing Range No. 2

 

In 1942, the United States Government acquired 1,803.78 acres of land in Union County, South Dakota for use as an aerial gunnery and bombing range. Over the next three years, the range supported machine gun and bombing practice from the Sioux City Army Air Field. One hundred pound sand-filled practice bombs and 50 caliber projectiles are believed to have been dropped or fired at the site. In 1945, the United States Government terminated all leases for the site. Currently, the United States Army Corp of Engineers is conducting a site investigation under their Military Munitions Response Program confirm the site is clear of potentially hazardous munitions debris.

 

For more information contact Brian Walsh at (605) 773-3296.

 

Sioux City Precision Bombing Range No. 6

 

In 1943, the United States Government acquired 8,056.60 acres of land for use as a precision bombing range by the Army Air Force. The range consisted of approximately 3,716 acres in Bon Homme County South Dakota. Over the next two years, the range was used for machine gun and bombing practice. One hundred pound sand-filled practice bombs and 50 caliber projectiles are believed to have been dropped or fired at the site. In 1945, the United States Government declared the site surplus and by the end of 1946, all leases had been terminated. Currently, the United States Army Corp of Engineers is conducting a site investigation under their Military Munitions Response Program confirm the site is clear of potentially hazardous munitions debris.

 

For more information contact Brian Walsh at (605) 773-3296.