SOUTH DAKOTA Department of
Environment & Natural Resources

Protecting South Dakota's Tomorrow...Today!
Joe Foss Building
523 E Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Field Offices
Contact Us

Feedlot Permit Program

Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)                    

Reissuance of the General Water Pollution Control Permit for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations

A contested case hearing to reissue the General Water Pollution Control Permit for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations has been rescheduled to be held September 27-29 in Pierre. The contested case hearing will be held at 10:00 am in the Matthew Training Center in the Joe Foss Building, 523 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre. DENR Secretary Steve Pirner will serve as the hearing chair. The hearing was initially scheduled to be held Dec. 16, 2015, but was continued when one of the intervening parties, Dakota Rural Action, filed a motion on Dec. 8, 2015, requesting more time to prepare for the hearing. Petitions to intervene that were filed by the Nov. 20, 2015, deadline have been granted.

The public notice for reissuing the general permit, the draft permit, and the Statement of Basis will remain on the department’s One Stop Public Notice Website until the permit is reissued.  A record of all submissions related to the contested case proceeding is available on the DENR contested case webpage.

Prior to DENR's formal public notice, information was presented on a draft of the proposed permit on September 17, 2015. At the request of some of those attending the meeting, parties had until September 28, 2015, to submit informal comments. After the preliminary draft meeting, changes were made to the general permit prior to the public notice to include additional information provided by interested parties.

In South Dakota, concentrated animal feeding operations are regulated by a water pollution control permit. One of the permit requirements is that producers submit the plans for their manure management system. The plans and specifications for their system must meet Department of Environment and Natural Resources design requirements and be approved by a department engineer. For more information, contact Kent Woodmansey with the Feedlot Permit Program at (605) 773-3351.                  

The department has developed tools to assist producers in understanding the permitting process, selecting a good location for a new operation, and to answer common questions about the general permit. The department maintains a list of consultants who have indicated they provide engineering and/or geotechnical services related to the design of manure management systems. The department also maintains a list of crop consultants that can assist producers with preparing initial and annual nutrient management plans.

General Permit for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations and an application form for obtaining coverage under the permit. View and Print or Complete Online and Print

Information for New and Expanding CAFOs

Environmental Training for Livestock Producers

Nutrient Management/Manure Management Tools


How to file a CAFO complaint


Wet Weather Management Information

Other Educational Materials

EPA'S CAFO Rules-Notice: Clicking here will take you to EPA's website

Should you have any questions, contact Kent Woodmansey at (605) 773-3351.

Hereford Angus cross

Landrace pig

Landrace giltCharolais, Angus, Limosine at feedbunk

Holding pond under construction